Monday 25 October 2010

Here Today Gone Tomorrow

I'd like to dedicate this post to my relatives, friends and loved ones who've passed away this year.  In no particular order I will seek to briefly describe each individual and what they meant to me, also I will provide pictures where possible.

Bibi (Grandma) - My grandma lived to ripe age Mashallah, what i would always remember about her is that whenever I'd go and see her she would, after asking who exactly I was, commence on a prayer marathon whilst holding my hand.  She would make a duah for my sleeping, my waking up, my daily commute, my family my offspring, you name it she would recite it.  She loved me dearly and she showed it (she had so many grandchildren that openly showing her love was somewhat restricted). She was a very strong woman right up until the end.

Baba Mkubwa - My father's  brother (sorry no pics available) was a constant source of advice.  I remember when we were kids he would not let me eat with the other kids, he would always invite me to eat on his plate (perhaps because he realised I couldn't keep up with the pace of the other kids...) and make sure I'd have my fill of rice and chicken ( he knew chicken was my favourite and made sure it was cooked whenever we paid him a visit.  He loved me as his own
and would always take me around the neighborhood and speak to me in English infront of his peers, he was extremely proud that I spoke English and wanted to make sure his neighbor's knew that as well.  in 2008 He came a long way to Dar for my wedding and I was delighted he made it.  he holds a special place in my heart.

Rama - My cousin and namesake, he was as loyal as anyone I've ever met.  Whenever I went back home, he would accompany me on all my errands, he knew the streets, was not lazy and was very reliable.  Although much older than me, he respected me alot, I wouldn't have been able to do half the things i've done at home without him being there, home won't be the same without him.  His death was tragic and extremely sad for me personally.

Omary - Another cousin of mine whom I looked up to.  He was the man of the town, if you ever wanted to know how to do anything in the city of Dar es Salaam, he was the go-to guy.  He was instrumental in making my wedding a success as he gave me his car to help with the preparations and wedding itself.  A bread winner and a man of the people, he will be missed tremendously.

Balozi - One of those people who had a huge impact in my life after a very short period of knowing him.  he was my "mshenga" the person selected by my father to go and negotiate the dowry payment with my future in laws.  He was called balozi because of his diplomacy, he was always very calm and he had a persona about him that was the epitome of wisdom and serenity. I will always remember him for saying, " the woman's strength is in her mouth, the man's strength is in his hands, so whenever you and your wife start arguing, walk away".  He told me once, u know why I don't shave, it's because I do not wish to make myself attractive to women other than my wife, so I asked him what if the woman likes the scruffy look...he laughed and said only you would ask that!  He passed away while in good health, he had woken up in the morning, prayed the fajir prayer, went back to sleep and never woke up again...Allahu Akber.  I miss you tremendously Balozi.

Mr Sepala - I knew him briefly, but again he was good enough to come and visit me the last time I was in Dar.  He lived here in Toronto as well and had gone to Dar on a vacation, when I last saw him, he was planning to stay in Dar for a while because he had a number of dealings he had to complete and was not in a rush to return.  He was always proud of my achievements so far as a young man and also spoke glowingly of his oldest son, he thought I could be a good example to them.  I will always remember him for talking to me as a grown man, he never once spoke to me as a young adult, more like as his colleague.

One thing I've learnt when visiting Tanzania (it's probably something that we should all do regardless of where we are) is that when you meet someone, give them your undivided attention, actually listen to what s/he is saying, don't be wondering off in your mind just waiting for the time when you can speak again, for you never know when will see them again.  There's nothing worse than having regrets after you hear someone has passed away.  If you only do one thing make sure you keep your promises, if you say you're going to visit someone, then make sure you do so, otherwise don't make a  promise in the first place. A simple visit to a friend, relative or loved one can mean so much to them, it's just a shame that some of us do not realise that.


Grandma and I in 2007

Rama - Here we were at a local supermarket.

Eid Day 2007, Rama skinning the goat slaughtered for the days celebrations.

Omary

Balozi imparting some wisdom
Here Balozi is getting some food during the dowry payment ceremony in 2007
Mr. Sepala at home during my mums birthday May 2009

2 comments:

sam said...

Def an emotional post 4 me, Here today gone tomorrow is a befitting title. In life all we can take from waliotuacha are the memories n footprints they left in our lives.

Rama said...

You said it Sam